Please feel free to post any comments to the posts, it will make the blog alot more interesting.

Thursday, December 7, 2017

Reproduced stock door latches, difference in quality LH/RH


Tonight I got a new set of -56 door latch assemblies from Dennis Carpenter. I had e-mail them prior to the order asking if the mounting hardware was included in the assembly, bolts and conical lock washers. They said they weren't, well never mind I ordered them anyway. 
When I go the box and opened one up, WELL what do I see, a bag with mounting hardware!?!? that's strange but made me happy, overall the fit and finish was good, smooth operating mechanism and star shaft was snug and tight. Went and put them on a shelf in my storage and went on with cooking dinner. When the thought struck me, I will take a look on the other side, just in case. Took it out of the cardboard box and there where no mounting hardware. Bummer they must have forgotten to put that in the box!? and then it continues, star shaft has as much play as my old worn out assemblies!? strange again, locking mechanism is binding and the overall feel of the assembly sucks. Took a closer look on the rivet heads and realizes that these are not made in the same factory/workshop!? Took a closer look on the boxes and it seems Dennis Carpenter buys them from at least 2 different suppliers "Muscle car GT" and "Oval industries". Oval Industries being the good one.
So I went on to the phone and called Dennis carpenter and explained my issue. They thought it was strange and went out into there warehouse to take a look on the stock. After a while the guy returned to the phone and could just confirm what I just said. RH was from Oval Industries and had a good feel to the mechanism while LH was quite the opposite. He refunded med the money for the LH without hesitation. I asked if they could supply me with a LH from Oval Industries, but they could't unfortunately. So I ended up contacting Oval Industries in California and they had the LH shipped to me in Sweden. Same good feeling and quality as the RH hand I got from DC.








 

No comments:

Post a Comment