My little son is helping out lifting the bare block and flywheel cover into the frame and the new engine rubber mounts. This to get the correct angle of where the engine and trans tail shaft sits.
Engine in place and the trans has been lifted in as well. Now this picture shows the angle finder in a funny spot. One should not measure the angle on top of the trans, I just left it there. But it actually showed that the the top milled surface of the block was 90.0 degrees to the trans to bell housing mounting surface and exactly 0.0 degrees or 90.0 (depending on where you measure) to the tail shaft. Exactly as one should have expected it.
The engine proved to lean backwards by 3.5 degrees. I zeroed the angle finder at the tail shaft and proceed to un tighten the rear U-bolts slightly. Then I set the pinion at 3.5 degrees or 0.1 degrees as the angle finder was zeroed at 3.5.
I then backed down to 2 degrees "preset". This gives the pinion 2 degrees of "climb" space during acceleration.
However some friends recommended me not to go as far as 2 degrees preset as that would give me a total of 3.5 + 2.0 = 5.5 degrees of universal joint angle movement and that is the maximum recommended angle before one can expect vibration. As this is a stockish build i decided to back down to only 0.5 preset, which will give me a total of 3.5+0.5 = 4.0 degrees of universal joint movement.
Time for some welding